In April of last year my daughter finally got her wish with a brand spanking new cellphone. I don't have a particular interest in phones so buying the latest and greatest is never on my priority list; and if you want a top of the line 'new' cellphone and you are part of our family plan, you'll need to cough up the funds yourself. But her phone was not behaving itself and was giving up the ghost so I parted with the money and went through the hel... err, 'heck' of getting it activated through some Sprint reps that didn't have a clue how to activate a phone... (the basic in cellphone rep school 101, right?) and it took numerous calls and 2 days and waiting on hold and dealing with absolute idiots before we got to a person who did the SIMPLE TASK OF ACTIVATING HER DAMN PHONE.
Wait... I'm getting off topic. Ha. Imagine that. So... anyway. We did this. In April.
And then in July she went kayaking and at the end of the awesome fun day, stood up to get out of the kayak to step onto the dock... and dropped her phone in 12 feet of muddy water. It was gone. Never to be seen again.
So in July we got her a new phone AND I went online to find a waterproof case for the next time she went kayaking. And when we went to the beach the next month. And when I would have my phone out with me in the rain. And when we went camping and hiking this year on our Girls Road Trip 2018... and the beach trip in July of this year.
When I broke it.
But because I have had these two file photos sitting in my computer files waiting to see the light of day on It's Just the Coffee Talking, I decided today would be the day.
I ordered two different sets (2 packs) of different brands from Amazon. The 2nd set I bought I think worked pretty darn well but I gave both of them away to two of my young adult kids during the August beach trip and I've never seen them since so if I do an update on those, I'll have to 'interview' them first and find out their opinions. THESE two however were the ones I kept at our home.
Here is the image and exact product description from their page online;
Trianium (2Pack) Universal Waterproof Case, Cellphone Dry Bag Pouch w/ IPX8 for iPhone X 8 7 6s 6 Plus, SE 5s 5c 5, Galaxy s9 s8 s7 s6 edge, Note 5 4,LG G6 G5,HTC 10,Nokia, Pixel up to 6.0” diagonal
- Universal waterproof case bag fits all smartphones up to 6.0" diagonal size (Certain big screen phones need to remove protective case)
- Composed of a highly-durable thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) material, which protects against water, dust, dirt, grease, snow, scratches and bumps. Additionally, you can store credit card, money waterproof bag for beach, finishing, swimming, boating, kayaking, snorkeling and other water park activities.
- Innovative swivel lock design provides a user friendly experience when opening or sealing the pouch. Design to fit cellphone, includes iPhone X, 8, 7, 7 plus, 6s plus, 6 plus, iphone 6s, 6, Galaxy s9, s8, 8 plus, galaxy s7 s6 edge, galaxy note 5, 4, 3, 2, pixel, lg g6, g5, v10,v20, htc one a9,sony,and more.
- Dual-side transparent window allows full touch screen access and button control functionality as well as the ability to take photos while the pouch is still equipped. (Note: You cannot make phone calls while the phone is being enclosed in the waterproof bag & Fingerprint sensor may not work inside the case.)
- Quality tested: Waterproof protection up to a depth of 100 feet. Trianium warrants its waterproof bag for the duration of one year.
MY thoughts: My old iphone 5C fit and the iphone SE fit just fine. A little snug but that was good because it made it easy to hold and easy to use as the plastic stretched across the screen.
Yes, I COULD USE THE PHONE WHILE IT WAS IN THE PLASTIC!
No problem unlocking the screen with my code.
No problem sending text messages and Snapchat messages.
I had my doubts on the quality of photos but I admit; thumbs up! The photos I took through the plastic were clear and not blurry at all. Everything worked great.
I took it (sealed nice and tight) into the ocean with me and had no qualms about it getting splashed, although I'm going to admit I absolutely did not have the guts to literally dunk it in the water. From what I could tell it was sealed great and it could, but I was not willing to immerse it in water.
On the beach I honestly loved it for keeping the sand out. Our family vacation in August last year coincided with the remnants of a hurricane pushing through and the wind was insane even before the rains came. Not a smidgen of sand in my phone.
However, at about $7.99 (at the time of purchase and still today when I checked the link) it was worth it. A 2 pack for less than 8 bucks and one is still perfect. Not bad. I'm happy with it... generally speaking.